Sunday, September 7, 2008

And now we know...

You'll have to excuse my absence from blogging. I have found it somewhat intimidating to blog about anything cooler than Africa, but I recieved some inspiration yesterday when we picked the last of our produce. This made Josh and I talk about our garden for next year. We discussed things that we will and won't plant, and what we should do differently. This made me think about the things I have learned and learned to appreciate since we put the garden in this spring.
Things I know now that I didn't last spring:
1. Furrow-making is an art.
2. Furrows should be cut to run slightly downhill.
3. My dad and grandpa are even more amazing than I thought.
4. You should spray corn for bugs.
5. Although I absolutely prefer eating green beans out of the garden, I prefer buying them frozen. (5 green beans?! Are you kidding me?!)
6. Grass in Kansas grows really fast.
7. Weeds in Kansas grow even faster.
8. Frogs and toads are different but they both like my garden.
9. If pumpkins don't have water, they will die.
10. You shouldn't pick a watermelon until its curly leaves turn brown.
11. Nature is more amazing than I realized.
12. Jalepeno peppers aren't that good for foods that I usually prepare.
13. Why my parents had so many kids. (to pull weeds, pick up sticks, shell peas, end and french the beans, etc.)
14. My mom was really patient when she would cut and seed a watermelon.
15. There are some crazy-looking bugs in Kansas.

I think Josh summed it up perfect when he said, "Now I understand why Grandma was always so mad at me for getting in her garden!"

It was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun. We spent lots of hours working together and a few minutes enjoying the fruits of our garden together. Hopefully next year's harvest will be even better!

One of the scary spiders who has called our home home.

A hungry little caterpillar.

A frog...

And a toad...

One more scary spider who has called our home home. Anyone know what kind of spider this is?

My watermelon...

and my cantaloupes!

5 comments:

The Hyding Place said...

You look lop-sided in the last picture. hahaha Is that small one the .5 of your canteloupe harvest? I remember wishing I only had 5 beans to french. Glad you learned some things. Dad always told us to "learn things". I am very impressed if you grew that watermelon in your garden. It is huge. We have not had good luck growing watermelons. Next year try seedless.

christy said...

Congrats, Joni! Gardening is hard work.

Craig and Janalyn said...

Sweet cantaloupes! You know the lady at the maturation clinic told us that if we were a little lop-sided we should just pop a few cotton balls in the smaller side and we would be fine. Scary spiders, we have some scary ones here too. Cute frogs! And great job on your first garden, you freakin' farmer! xoxo

B.J. said...

Janalyn is so funny. I think I was too embarrassed to enjoy the maturation clinic. :) (This is Jer, not BJ) Good work on your garden Jo! Did you try potatoes? We have a bunch of huge red potatoes growing in the garden. We can't eat them fast enough.

Regan and Annie Duckworth said...

You have such great patience. You are able to put up with Josh AND grow a mostly successful garden. 5 green beans are better than 0.