Friday, May 23, 2008

Safely remove a tick

Because the link to the website didn't work (refer to Tick Awareness below) I will now tell you how to remove a tick safely. Because you shouldn't smother it, risking a chance of infection, you should:
1) Grab the tick as close to the head as possible with some tweezers or small forceps and pull lightly until it loosens its grip.
2) Pull straight out (do not twist as the head or mouth may twist off and get stuck in your skin) and dispose of the tick.
3) Clean the site of the wound with rubbing alcohol making sure that all parts of the tick were removed safely.
4) Watch the site to make sure that no redness or swelling occurs, in which case it may be infected.
5) Stop doing yard work naked! It is a bad habit that allows ticks to get in strange places.

4 comments:

Clegg Family said...

Note to self..."stop doing yard work naked." Got it, thanks for the advice, Joni! :)

The Hyding Place said...

I was enthralled with your steps of how to remove a tick and anxious to read what to do in case of infection when I got to step #5. It made me laugh really hard.

Craig and Janalyn said...

I laughed at the "Refs you suck" comment on the side. :(

Joni, at least you have a lot of land so that when you do yard work naked, not many people are around. Mom doesn't have that same excuse. She must have had all kinds of scottys peeping through the fence. I hope you both learned your lesson.

Margaret said...

Thats so funny you did a post on Ticks. I just found one on Maleha's neck lastnight and I was so freaked out how it's head was just stuck in her. Thank goodness to Daddy Dustin's Tick removing skills he got it out smoothly and quickly. She was a good sport but it gave me the jahibeez all night. After reading your fact and Myth I had to check the side of my boobs too. I'm clear. How funny!!