Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Busy, busy

It's been a busy few days. I started off Saturday morning with a 5k for the Lady of Guadalupe church,
then Rachel and I froze 2 bushels of corn.
I felt like all the years of helping (okay, watching) my mom and dad finally paid off. We had what seemed like so much corn (2 sinks full...twice) that didn't make as many bags as we thought. But we were corn-freezing maniacs. We had 3 pots going on the stove, I was cutting the corn off the cob with my electric knife, and Rachel was putting the corn in bags.
It was a pretty slick process and we are all set with fresh corn for the rest of summer, fall, and winter.
On Sunday, Josh had a family barbeque for his National Guard Unit that was right during our Sacrament Meeting time, so I went up with him and went to the Hiawatha Branch that started earlier. I wasn't sure what to expect - I didn't know if they met in a house, or a rented building, or what. I was relieved to see when I pulled up that it was an actual church - and it was tiny, but so nice. The people were so great, even though few in numbers, and I even got asked to say the closing prayer.
So far this week we've been trying to get everything ready so we can head home for a while. I finally got the deck finished (I've been staining it for a few days. . .what a LONG job!) We got a whole bunch of yard work done, including getting the lawns mowed (which is a whole day job by itself), I got the dogs shaved, we got the truck cleaned out (we are turning it in tomorrow), and a ton of little things trying to get ready for our trip. We will definitely get some pictures of everything packed into our little car - with our two big dogs. I'm glad we don't have a baby that has to sit in the back with them! I may or may not post anything until we get back, so I apologize in advance if this is the last post for awhile! Hopefully I'll get to visit some of you instead!
Oh - and Dad, I know the difference between frogs and toads now. We have both of them, and they look completely different! We have tons of little baby frogs and toads...they are everywhere!! In fact, I had to not look right in front of the lawn mower while I was mowing. I was getting really close to some of them...probably too close - so I stopped looking.

6 comments:

The Hyding Place said...

you didn't want to watch the frogs and toads get cut up??? How many bags of corn did you get? I am curious to see how close I was at my guess. Probably way off....Good job!

allison wright said...

joni you give meaning to my life...really i wish i was around you more and i wish i was more like you. a 5K??? i don't think i ever even made it around the field a mjh the mandatory 3 times. are you coming home anytime soon?

Regan and Annie Duckworth said...

Nice work! In an emergency you will be fully equipped with beef, corn, and wheat.

Great job on the 5k.

Stacey said...

Wow!! Looks like you are seriously keeping busy. You have all sorts of food popping up! You are amazing!! Good job on the 5k too!

Julie Moore said...

Hey there Joni!! Hunter and I just got back into town. I was most impressed with all you and Rachel did--the 5K and the corn cookin'. WOW! I would love to learn how you did all that! Let's get together sometime. Jules

Jamie said...

It was so fun seeing you guys! Joni, you'll have to come visit again so we can do pedicures! Drive Safe!!