Friday, June 20, 2014

Dachau

These pictures have been loaded and waiting for a write-up for 3 days.  I'm not quite sure what to say about Dachau, the first concentration camp that the Nazis set up in Germany.  It was a good place to visit, it was very informative, but it was sure horrific.  It is amazing to me that a place like this actually exists, and was a forced labor (slavery, essentially) camp for 12 years before being liberated in 1945.  

 The shower room where the prisoners were forced upon entrance of the camp to shower before receiving their uniform.  This was also a common place for prisoners to be tortured, where the new prisoners would see what they were in for if they protested or disobeyed in any way.
 The execution wall.
 A hallway of solitary confinement rooms in 'the bunker'.
 There were also standing rooms - this isn't one of them.  They were only 2 feet 6 inches square.  Men were in there for weeks.
 A replica of the barracks.  These were originally intended for 54 prisoners but were filled with over 1000 prisoners by the time of liberation.

 Some of the religious memorials that are now there.
 The crematorium which also includes gas chambers.
 "To honor the dead, to warn the living."
 The gate says, in German, "Work will set you free."

1 comment:

N+A Miller said...

Hi Joni! I don't know if you remember me or not. I'm Amber, Tony & Tricia Somma's oldest daughter. Anyway, I found your blog through someone else's and saw you were in Germany! We are stationed over here too. I've been wanting to visit Dachau but wasn't sure if it was something we could take our kids to so I'm glad I stumbled on this post! Hope you & your family are well :)