Monday, June 16, 2008

Thou Shalt Not Covet

Let me start out by saying that I am not a jealous person. However, I have not wanted something this badly since Jake Kingston got the game Mouse Trap. What is it that I want so badly, you ask? It is my neighbor's lawn mower.
Now this isn't just any lawn mower. Well, actually, our lawn mower isn't just any lawn mower. His is pretty sweet, but ours is more pathetic than his is sweet. Now I knew a long time ago that his lawn mower was a lot fancier than ours, but I haven't actually coveted his mower until today.
Why today did I begin to covet? First, let me give you some history about our lawnmower. We lucked into this baby, buying it used and rebuilt from a guy in our old ward. The price was definitely right and I am certainly glad that we have it. (it won't seem like it if you keep reading, but I really am glad that we have what we do).

Reasons I want my neighbor's mower: (all things that I noticed today)
1)He doesn't have to avoid the puddles from yesterday's rain and worry about getting stuck in them.
2)He doesn't have to mow over the same spot at least 3 times before it cuts completely.
3)He doesn't have to kick the top of the blade guard to get the stuck grass to come out.
4)He doesn't have to turn his mower in a really big circle to get it to turn around to mow the next line.
5)Its mid-speed setting is at least twice as fast as our fastest setting.

To make matters worse, while I was taking a break because our mower got too hot, our neighbor was completely finished with his lawn. He washed his mower, dried it, and then sat lotioning and oiling, lotioning and oiling while I waited for our mower to cool down enough to drive it to the garage. I still didn't get our entire lawn cut, but Al was able to weed eat his yard and probably watch American Gladiators before I gave up and came inside.


And I thought it was bad when I wanted Mouse Trap. At least I could go across the street and borrow that if I wanted to.
(Sorry about the bad picture, I didn't want to seem like a creepy stalker taking pictures of our neighbor and his mower! Ha, I took it anyway, but I didn't have time to zoom in and focus! Notice the difference in his lawn and our lawn, you can see where the property line is for sure!)

6 comments:

Margaret said...

You are hilarious!. Yeah, you can see him oiling and oiling and lotioning his mower. Maybe if you pay him for gas and labor he can mow your lawn too. I am sure he wouldn't mind.lol

Craig and Janalyn said...

Oh I remember having a sad little mower at our last house. All of our neighbors didn't have mowers at all... they had a lawn service come! Talk about coveting! HAHA I laughed at your stalker picture. Way too funny.

Jerilyn said...

You are a very funny person Jo! I was at Target purchasing Cosmic Catch (awesome game for 3-6 players) and I saw Mouse Trap and had the same memories of wanting that game because the Kingstons had it. Ha.

Sarah Blue said...

Aww Man! I totally understand. Our Topeka neighbor had a sweet riding mower, while we just had a push mower. Jeremy would be working so hard, sweat dripping down, while the neighbor just laddie-dawed around his yard on his cool riding mower. Don't worry. Some day you too will have a sweet mower. And then the neighbors can envy you. Haha! :)

Davis'...things that make us smile said...

You are so funny! I know what you mean though sometimes you just wish you could afford that top of the line! I'm glad you guys are doing well. I do love hearing about what you guys are up to and don't worry about being the creepy neighbor, I am always peeking out the blinds when I hear things :)

J.C. & Tiana said...

Joni, you seriously make me laugh so hard just hearing this story made me think of so many funny stories we have together. Although we don't have any with a lawn mower. One thing that comes to mind is 4 Wheeling in Big Red which was a stick and I didn't know how to drive but who needs to know how to drive something before you take it to the mountians.