Thursday, June 12, 2008

What to do?

So I've been offered a job teaching fourth grade at the local elementary school within my same district. There are definite good things and bad things and I can't decide what to do. If this opportunity had come up 8 months ago...I would have jumped at the chance. However, I have learned to like my school, I'm comfortable around the other teachers, I would have the same curriculum, and the thought of staying at the same school for more than one year is so appealing.
On the other hand, the thought of having less than 20 kids in a class, reading out loud to my kids, singing songs in school, and not getting dirty looks from 13 year old girls makes me excited with the chance to teach elementary school again.
It looks like I've got a decision to make. . .

Let me know your vote. 7th grade math vs. 4th grade. Vote quick - I should probably let both principals know by Monday.

9 comments:

Alan and Lynette said...

I vote for 4th grade...while comfort sounds appealing, I'm willing to put money on you not having to WORK for comfort REALLY doing what you love...but that's just me

Stacey said...

That is a tough decision!! I guess I would agree with Lynette. I think you sound like you might enjoy 4th grade more. But either way, I am sure you will make the right decision. Good luck!!

The Hyding Place said...

Joni, you are a sweet, young, cute thing, so you should not be with naughty jr. high kids who steal cell phones. Besides, aren't math teachers supposed to be mean and ugly? I think you would enjoy the elementary school better, but you should take into consideration travel time, pay, hours, and whether or not this would screw up our trip to Africa if you changed.

Craig and Janalyn said...

Joni you already know what I think you should do. Teaching 4th grade would be so much more fun! Plus, I would have LOVED to have a teacher like you in Elem. And yes, Jamie. Most Math teachers are mean and ugly. Joni I hope you can figure out what will be best for you! xoxoxo

Blake and Breanna said...

Joni, I am opposite and I think that you should stay with the 7th graders. The thought of teaching little kids is very unappealing to me. Hope that all works well.

Jerilyn said...

Jo, your heart is with elementary students. Those are the kids that you get along well with and you can have fun with them. Don't worry about getting along with the teachers, from your past experiences in elementary schools, I think you know they will treat you like you deserve. But I agree with Jamie, take into account pay and hours.

But on the other hand, it's nice to have a nice math teacher who actually cares about the students. I learned to love math because of my great teachers in junior high.

Either decision you make will be good. It's nice to have a decision where that is the case. It depends on what YOU want. :) Work is no fun, but if you have to do it, do something you like to do.

P.S. I wanted to be a math teacher, so they're not all ugly, just mean. Ah ha ha ha

Muir Family said...

My vote is 4th grade---you have the love that those little kids need. If they get it younger, maybe when they get to 7th they would be better off. I would love Brayden to have a teacher like you. Good luck with the decision--post when you make it.

Kim said...

Hey Joni,
I found your cute blog through the Johnstons. Good luck on the teaching decision. I bet you'd do great either way.

Clegg Family said...

Wow...that must be so hard to be needed and wanted in so many places at once! :) Whichever grade you choose...can you please move back to Utah in 8 years so you can teach my little Joshua?!